Monday, June 8, 2009

Death makes you think.

Yesterday, my mom's friend was killed when she was struck by a car. My thoughts go out to the family, but I can't help think about other things as well. Both of her sons had their first children within the last year. She was finally a grandmother, and now she will never see them grow up. The kids also lose out because they will never know her.

While my sympathies go out to the family, I can't help but think about all of the other things that have happened as well. I know that her younger son's wife did not like her at all. That is clear from the way she treated her. It's really too bad, because this caused huge problems between the mother and son. Problems that can never be fully resolved. Now the two of them have to live with what they said with no possible way to make amends.

This got me thinking about my family. Now, the situation that we have is no where near to what the other family had, but it got me thinking; life can end at any time. People can be taken away for no reason in the blink of an eye. Excuses like, "I'm too busy." or "Maybe later." are the kind of things that can end up haunting someone for the rest of their life. I still hold out hope that people will snap out of their little world and embrace their family as a blessing and not a hindrance, but I think I need to come to terms with the fact that this is just how things are going to be and nothing I say can change someone else's habits. It's really too bad, because just like my mom's friend, there are some people (not) in my life that will not get to see my daughters grow up. The saddest part about that is, it is by their own choice that this will happen.

I guess it comes down to this. Do what you want. As long as you know you can live with your choices, do what you want. It may not be what I want, but that's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment